Together We Make a Difference
“I am thankful for my life and for this community!” said one of our Urban Kids with confidence and excitement. Her words resonate for each of us, especially during this season of thanks and generous giving.
With your help, our programs are making a lasting difference for all of us:
- Urban Kids serves 30 children in After School and Summer Learning Programs, where our children gained 8-10 months average in reading and math skills!
- Together we celebrated with Community Church without Walls the high school graduation of our largest number of students: 19 young people, 14 of whom had their start with Urban Kids.
- Community Kitchen served more than 14,500 meals, and we celebrated our beloved “Ms. Belle” as she retired after 31 years of cooking and sharing hope.
- Emergency Food Pantry has served more than 250 families during crisis and will continue to meet many needs through December 19.
- Our new Monday-Tuesday Crisis Intervention and Snack Bagshas served more than 480 persons since October 1. We’ll expand to a Wellness Hospitality Time in 2015, increasing health and wellness among our most vulnerable guests and neighbors, especially the homeless and near homeless.
- Homelessness Prevention, Rapid Re-housing, & Street Outreach has assisted more than 206 people to permanent or transitional housing, medical care, food resources, and referrals to stabilization.
- Beeson Senior Services & Senior Emergency Assistance has served more than 500 seniors with utility/rent assistance and case management.
- WE Community Gardens has sold or gifted more than 10,000 pounds of fresh produce to our community, engaged 900+ people in healthy eating and healthy living programs, and employed 4 area young people.
- Joe Rush Center for Urban Mission’s 679 volunteers (most of them young people) painted 22 houses and built relationships with the 41 family members. Many more homeowners (most of them vulnerable seniors) await their exterior house paintings.
We need your financial support to finish 2014 strong. And we have exciting plans for deepening sustainability, community empowerment and transformation, healthy eating and healthy living in 2015 in our West End Community and beyond.
Like our Urban Kids, we give thanks for all you have done in the past and ask you to give again so we can continue to respond with compassion and wholeness.
Peace and Blessings,
Rev. Melissa Self Patrick, Executive Director