Urban Ministry relies on volunteers like YOU! Looking to get involved? Plug in to a regular weekly or monthly commitment at our Community Kitchen or Urban Kids After-School Program, bring a work crew to paint houses for the week, or set up an afternoon visit to help with one of our programs. We have jobs for many ages, interests and schedules.
- Food Pantry – Help provide a week’s supply of non-perishable food to individuals and families in need of emergency food assistance. Volunteers can help collect, deliver and stock food pantry donations. Call us at 781-0517.
- Joe Rush Center for Urban Mission – This dorm facility in Midfield offers a group experience of inner-city ministry through hands-on discipleship. During the spring and summer, we host house painting volunteer groups. Contact Danny Jones at 781-0517 or email Danny if you would like to come to Birmingham for a work trip!
- Urban Kids After-School Program – Mentor, tutor, play, sing, dance, draw, paint, and read with our group of energetic 3rd through 5th graders, Monday through Thursday afternoons, 3-6 pm during the school year. Volunteers must be 18+ and pass a background check. Please email Wanda for details!
- West End (WE) Community Gardens – Volunteer at our neighborhood garden and all-natural produce market. Help us produce healthy, sustainable food and teach kids about health and farming. Work days are Wednesdays and Saturdays, 8 a.m. to noon. Email Ama for details or just stop by!
- Special events – volunteer for community events including the Point-in-Time homelessness count in January, the Summer Solstice in June, the Collard Green Cook-Off in October, and fundraisers including the Table of Hope Banquet in September. Call us at 205-781-0517 for details.
- Junior Board – Support Urban Ministry as a Junior Board member. Adults between 24 and 44 are invited to apply now. Download the Urban Ministry Junior Board Application.