Urban Ministry relies on volunteers like YOU! Looking to get involved? Plug in to a regular weekly or monthly commitment at our Community Kitchen or Urban Kids After-School Program, bring a work crew to paint houses for the week, or just stop by to work at one of our programs for the afternoon. We have jobs for many ages, interests and schedules.
- Community Kitchen - Help serve a hot lunch Monday through Friday, 12 - 1 p.m. Currently, we need volunteers for the first and third Thursday of each month and each Friday. Call Ms. Belle at 781-0517 to sign up!
- Food Pantry - Help provide a week's supply of non-perishable food to individuals and families in need of emergency food assistance. Volunteers can help collect, deliver and stock food pantry donations. Call us at 781-0517.
- Joe Rush Center for Urban Mission - This dorm facility in Midfield offers a group experience of inner-city ministry through hands-on discipleship. During the spring and summer, we host house painting volunteer groups. Contact Danny Jones at 781-0517 or email Danny if you would like to come to Birmingham for a work trip!
- Urban Kids After-School Program - Mentor, tutor, play, sing, dance, draw, paint, and read with our group of energetic 3rd through 8th graders, Monday through Thursday afternoons, 3-6 pm during the school year. Volunteers must be 18+ and pass a background check. Please email Kuryne for details!
- West End (WE) Community Gardens - Volunteer at our neighborhood garden and all-natural produce market. Help us produce healthy, sustainable food and teach kids about health and farming. Work days are Wednesdays and Saturdays, 8 a.m. to noon. Email Ama for details or just stop by!
- Special events - volunteer for community events including the Point-in-Time homelessness count in January, the Summer Solstice in June, the Collard Green Cook-Off in October, and fundraisers including the Table of Hope Banquet in September. Call us at 205-781-0517 for details.