posted on December 14, 2011 11:20
Urban Kids nurtures at-risk youth.
Your gifts support 30 students and their families in our after-school and summer learning program
Urban Kids helps Birmingham youth grow through academic support, healthy living, creative arts, and character development. Located conveniently across the street from Hemphill Elementary, we serve third through fifth grade students from that school, as well as sixth through eighth graders from surrounding middle schools.
We offer our After-School program four days a week during the school year, and a Summer Learning Program for seven weeks during the summer. Each year, we enroll 30 3rd-8th grade children and youth from low-income households. All programs are offered free of charge - invaluable for families struggling to find after-school supervision and make ends meet. We also serve their families through our compassion ministries and the Three Kings Christmas program.
Why is this needed?
- 100% of our students come from families living at or below the poverty line.
- Over the past year, we served at least 10 children with a parent who is or has been incarcerated.
- 13 of our families have moved at least once in the past year
Why we're excited about it:
- Nine of our students are in advanced classes
- Students have won competitions in essay writing, science, math, and video production
- Six kids have been admitted to schools with accelerated academic programs
- Students have received numerous academic and citizenship awards
- No school suspensions in the past year
- No students in the juvenile system
- Significant improvements in grade averages
- Significant increase in conflict resolution through non-violent, respectful interaction
You make this program possible through your continued support. Urban Kids is a part of our mission to provide wholeness by meeting long-term human needs, including education, community, and holistic well-being. Thank you for your continued support!
Thank you, friends. Many families in need are blessed by your support.
We are grateful for many Urban Kids partners and funders including the